Friday, August 19, 2011

If Tomorrow Never Comes...

It could be a delusional idea brought onto my life through a series of the "I regret seeing" genre of movie but I have always figured I would die rather young. I mean, of course, I can't know this for sure, it's likely just the inability to fathom the idea of actually choosing someone to settle down with, actually birthing children, actually growing older. I can't see it. I want it -- is that enough?

*SPOILER ALERT!*
I went to see the new summer flick One Day with Anne Hathoway (one of my favorite actresses).
And while I am not always a fan of this sort of synopsis, I loved it! Anne's character, Em, dies. She gets hit by a truck on her bicycle after she finally gets a chance with the man she has loved for twenty years. She dies, we all do, it's life. Why do people get mad that stories kill characters off? Accidents happen and people don't always survive. I loved it because it was real. I loved it because it was REAL. Dexter marries another woman in a shotgun wedding, she cheats on him, it sucks but it's realistic. Sure, it's not the ideal love story but it's a lot more like each one of ours. She dies young when everything in her love life is about to take off and she realizes that she has wasted so much time avoiding the thing that was right in front of her this whole time. She dies before she gets to marry the man that she taught to be the man of her dreams.

Love stories don't always have ideal endings but for some reason, God's plan was better that way.

What if today was all you had left?

Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."
John 13:7

No comments:

Post a Comment