Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Not-So-American-Dream

I feel like I have abandoned this blog for a while & I really don't want it to be that way.

I always have great ideas for blogs but feel ill-motivated to take the time to actually jot them down plus as a college student that is also in a leadership position at work and a full time mommy to a high maintenance puppy, I'm busy!

Also, when I log on I get excited to read about what is going on in so many other people's lives and then I forget about writing at all.

This past weekend I turned 21. Exciting, right? It was pretty much the best birthday I can remember, ever. I flew out to Vegas where the weather was perfect all day, I walked away with more money than I started with gambling, I zip-lined under a light show across the entire downtown strip, took a gondola ride where I was sung happy birthday in Italian, I could go on and on for days about all the things we got to do and the amazing people I got to meet & all the ways that people went out of their way to make my weekend special. I enjoyed every second of the birthday adventure I got to endure. My taste of flying, Vegas, Cali & Italia we simply amazing. God is everywhere love is & I am so blessed to have gotten to experience that love in a lot of different places.

I've learned a few things about myself because this birthday actually felt older & it was so cool.
1. Travel to as many places as you can that you have never been, life is so short.
2. Favorite gambling game: Roulette, favorite mixed drink: "Nuts 'n' berries"
3. If you're gambling, you get unlimited free drinks of absolutely anything you want. :)!

I also thought about how this was the closest I have ever been to accomplishing dreams & desires I have pondered my whole life and yet, the farthest I been too. I have dabbled in love and heartbreak for a long time but now that it's closer to making decisions about the rest of my life....I don't want to. I'm not sure I'm done feeling sad about the person I thought would always love me completely cutting me out of his life. I'm not sure I picture God's plan for my life going exactly how I had imagined it should. The only hopeful part in all of this is that it doesn't have to work out according to this "American Dream" standard. I don't have fall in love in college, get married upon graduation, travel the world before settling down in the suburbs, a dog & 2.5 children. It's ridiculous the more I think about it, I don't even want that anymore.

I just want to experience God and see Him through His creation in as many places as I can -- get glimpses of who He really is and who He desires me to be. I'm a woman after His own heart & as much as I fail, I only desire it more. So, I want to travel, I want to fly and hike and sail and jump into every crevice, depth, sky, body of water, that I get the chance to before I join Him and He shows me what living really is.

Life on Earth as a Christian is about love but nobody limits you to love only one person, why not love on everyone, deeply and let people love on you because there is joy in love, God is love. It's great, you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment