Friday, December 7, 2012

Still Moved by Asia.

I know that the Lord has started a mighty work in Asia. I have seen it and felt the movement. I have witnessed to people hearing the name of Jesus for the very first time, coming to tears. I have prayed with hundreds of friends I met under those smoggy skies and knew before even departing that I would be back there. I trusted the support of prayer warriors here in the states and now I find myself contemplating applying to go back as an intern for a year upon my upcoming completion of college.

I am standing on the middle ground between two very grassy options.

OPTION A: I graduate. I try to keep in contact with people getting on with their lives, going off to various grad programs, getting married, whatever everyone does after college. I could get a job or apply to grad school myself (which eventually I will), and then I move wherever the job or the education lead me. Eventually I'll figure out what living life there means and occasionally, I'll ask myself if I am happy and if all the patient waiting I have done for this great guy or starting this perfect family is worth it when I am still just alone, using all of the strength I can to just forget that dream for now, let it work itself out instead of hounding me.

But I mean, there are perks to this. I am close to a family I have been away from for all of college. I get to make some money and start a new chapter, which I know will be great and full of surprises, which I am totally up for.

OPTION B: I let go of every selfish desire I have held within to chase the American dream of settling down immediately after college, abandon every safe place I have known as home, release my need for certainty and simply go to Asia where there is a deep need for a God who already knows and loves those people. I cannot call this a sacrifice in the face of what Jesus did for me. Rather, I see this as a sweet opportunity to be apart of the movement that is going on around the world. I want to talk to people that can reach parts of this world that Americans cannot, to keep the spread of the Gospel going so that, in fact, all nations may hear.

So, I either sit around here simply waiting on what is next or I go and have an adventure of my own, trusting that God has had this planned for me far longer than I have acknowledged and all of that marriage/settling down stuff will come when my heart can finally be tamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment