Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Prove Them Wrong

If you are coming into college, when everyone is telling you not to put off the "harder" classes until the end, LISTEN!

Luckily, since I spent the first few years in college as a Biology major, I had lots of science under my belt early on. Unfortunately, when I transferred to the College Station campus, the requirements for basics changed drastically and I found myself faced more dreaded math classes ahead and a blank field of 14 hours of foreign language needing to be fulfilled. Just saying that still makes me cringe.

Somehow, by the Grace of God, alone, I got a "B" in business calculus and thought whatever a course labeled "Logic" would be for my next math credit couldn't be as tough as the previous one. Long story short, I didn't do well in logic the first time and decided to retake it for the GPA boost this summer.

The first day of class the professor told us that this would be one of the toughest courses we would ever have to take. He also recommended that if we were taking other courses (I was enrolled in 9 hours) or working (on my grind, daily) that we would not excel. I heard him clearly but I'm stubborn and thought, I've done worse. Not to mention the fact that it was crunch time and I couldn't afford to put this course off any longer if I wanted to successfully graduate this December.

So, I stuck with it...

& it was really tough...

But I met some wonderful people who were patient enough to tutor, guide, help, and encourage me in so many different ways that somehow, I soon felt prepared.

I took that final and received an email a few days later saying I had earned one of the top grades in the class and a recommendation to move further into the next course. While I laughed this off, I realized what an accomplishment this was and how proud I was for sticking it out, despite the warnings or negative past experiences.

In addition to Logic, I am also currently enrolled in my fourth and final foreign language course. I had put this off until last semester when I realized I hadn't started even the first of my 4 classes needed and I only had a year left of school. By the end of this summer, I will have successfully completed all 14 hours needed for my degree plan in only 7 months. I did the expensive, fast track of language but am so joyful that I did and they are now almost complete.

So, I'll leave you with this-- something I've learned over and over in my college season and hope will carry over into whatever I pursue beyond this:

When people hand you seemingly possible situations, trust that nothing is impossible when God is on your side and then once you've internalized that truth, prove them wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment